Intellectual Property (IP) is one of the most important and valuable assets of a new and growing business. Startups who invest time and resources to understand their IP opportunities and risks, reach their business goals and excel more rapidly. This course will help entrepreneurs and small businesses better understand the different types of IP and steps to protect IP. We will cover the basics of patents, copyrights and trademarks and will identify common pitfalls and potential solutions.
You will learn:
• The different types of intellectual property (trademark, copyright, patent).
• Is my idea protectable by IP?
• Why would I want a patent, copyright or trademark?
• How much does a patent, trademark and copyright cost? How long does each take?
• How will a patent affect my chances of getting funded?
• How much is it worth investing in cultivating and enforcing an IP portfolio?
Rita H. Lin, who is a founding partner of Lee & Lin IP, is an intellectual property law specialist, with a particular focus on patent matters. A significant portion of her practice is focused on representing startups and emerging growth companies, both domestic and international, in developing and implementing forward thinking patent strategies that would complement and empower her clients’ growth. Ms. Lin routinely counsels clients on patent prosecution, patent portfolio development and management, technology licensing, product development and clearance. She has represented clients litigating in various U.S. Federal Courts, as well as before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Ms. Lin is licensed in NY and NJ, and is a registered patent attorney with the US Patent & Trademark Office.
Ms. Lin received her bachelor of science degree from MIT and her juris doctorate from Boston University School of Law.