Garbage to Garden
Garbage to Garden was created to address the challenge of efficiently and effectively utilizing residential composting within an urban setting. Tyler Frank, founder, and his roommate were discussing the challenges involved with composting in their 2nd floor city flat and six weeks later, Garbage to Garden (GtG) was born.
Garbage to Garden is currently services six cities in Maine and is looking to expand. Garbage to Garden has been recognized as:
- Portland Phoenix 2013 "Best Kept Secret"
- Portland Chamber of Commerce and PROPEL 2013 "Entreverge"
- Portland Buy Local 2013 "Eco Hero" Award
- ecomaine's 2014 "Portland eco-Excellence Community Award"
- Finalist in 2014 Gorham Savings Bank Launch Pad
SCORE recognized Garbage to Garden as the 2014 Outstanding Green Small Business.
SCORE mentor Alan Shaver began working with Tyler Frank just after the business idea was conceived. Together they determined the business start-up essentials including the corporate form that GtG maintains today. Tyler also benefited from a number of SCORE workshops with the hands-on guidance of Alan. With the recent growth of the company, Tyler and Alan have been focusing on assessing the option of franchising.