San Luis Obispo SCORE has been helping small businesses start and grow for over 30 years. Our members are retired & professionally active executives and business owners who provide advice to entrepreneurs wishing to start, fix or expand a business.
SCORE SLO has an office in San Luis Obispo at 1228 Broad Street and also offers mentoring in Santa Maria at Santa Maria Business Development Center at 731 S Lincoln Street. Our members are retired and professionally active executives and business owners who provide advice to entrepreneurs wishing to start, fix or expand a business in San Luis Obispo County and the Santa Maria Valley. Our payback for the time, expertise and advice we provide is your success. We are there for you for the long haul.
The mission of SCORE is to provide professional guidance and information to small or new businesses in order to strengthen our local economy. Here are some of the many things we can do for you:
MENTORING SESSIONS - FREE
- Face to Face Mentoring: Typically these sessions cover a startup business idea or a specific issue for a business owner. The sessions are one hour in length and consist of the client describing the issue or business idea, an open dialog where the mentors (typically two) discuss the idea and ask questions, a set of actions to be taken over the next period of time and a set date when the client and mentors either meet again or exchange information.
- Team Mentoring: Typically these sessions are requested by an existing business. The initial session is also typically held at the SCORE office. In this session the mentors will listen to the business owner's description of both the business and the range of issues for the company. This first session allows SCORE to determine the best makeup of the Mentoring Team. Subsequent meetings can be either held at the business location or at the SCORE offices.
- Once you have registered for mentoring: You will receive a call from our coordinator to set up either an initial Face to Face Mentoring or Team Mentoring evaluation session during our normal mentoring times (Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM in San Luis Obispo at the San Luis Business Center and the 2nd and 4th Wednesdays in Santa Maria at Santa Maria Business Development Center from 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM. and Atascadero, on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month from 1 to 4 ). Follow-on sessions are set by the client and mentors at a convenient time.
WORKSHOPS - FREE
- SCORE currently sponsors five regular workshops: Starting a Business (held on the third Wednesday of the month), Marketing with Technology (held every other month on the second Friday), Marketing with Social Media (held the alternate months on the second Friday), the Business Plan Workshop (held every month typically on the 3rd Saturday alternating between San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria) and the Running a Business Workshop consisting of 3 topics of interest to existing business owners (held on the first Friday of the month). These 5 workshops are held at various locations including Jobs America, Union Bank, and Collaboration in San Luis Obispo and at the Santa Maria Business Development Center in Santa Maria. To learn about upcoming workshops, click here, call 547-0779, or e-mail us at email@example.com.
- Announcements of upcoming workshops and webinars along with registration information are also shown on the Workshops page. Click on the Take A Workshop tab for further information.
E-MAIL MENTORING - FREE
- Please select Email under Mentoring Request Information
- SCORE provides email counseling for clients who prefer this approach as a means of communications. By clicking here you are directed to a our National resource of email mentors with expertise in virtually every facet of business expertise. Should you wish to work with an email mentor in San Luis Obispo county, our email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This publication is in its eighth edition and contains information vital to starting a business in SLO county. It provides the processes and procedures necessary to begin and run a business and local contacts (government and private) that provide a smoother implementation of your ideas. The entire publication is available here online.