Obtaining capital and managing cash flow can be daunting tasks for today’s small business owner. But solutions may be around the corner…at your local bank.
Our latest infographic highlights the financial difficulties and opportunities for small businesses.
Cash flow and costs are the top two challenges for small business owners.
- 22% say cash flow is a challenge
- 19% say costs of running business
- 13% say revenues/sales
- 9% say credit availability
On average, small business daily income is only $7 above daily expenses. Here are the average daily incomes for some industries:
- Personal services = $3 net income
- Retail = $4 net income
- Repair and maintenance = $6 net income
- Professional services = $7 net income
- Restaurant = $11 net income
- Health care services = $21 net income
Small businesses have a tougher time getting bank loans than larger companies:
- 38% of businesses with revenue less than $5 million are approved for bank loans
- 70% of businesses with revenue between $5 and 100 million and are approved for bank loans
Some common reasons for loan rejections:
- 25%: Quality of earnings & cash flow
- 21%: Size of company
- 19%: Insufficient operating history
- 18%: Insufficient credit
But small banks approve smaller companies more often:
- 60% of businesses with revenue less than $100 K are approved for loans from small banks
- 69% of businesses with revenue between $100K to $1M are approved for loans from small banks
- 88% of businesses with between $1M and $10M are approved for loans from small banks
Copyright © 2023 SCORE Association, SCORE.org
Funded, in part, through a Cooperative Agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration. All opinions, and/or recommendations expressed herein are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the SBA.