Non-profits host full day event to engage, inform, and excite veterans and their family members thinking about starting a business
Washington, D.C. - SCORE, – www.score.org - mentors to America’s small businesses, has teamed up with the Walmart Foundation to provide a full day of workshops, resources and mentoring for U.S. military veterans and their families who are interested in starting new business ventures. The workshops will draw from SCORE’s proven Simple Steps for Starting Your Business curriculum offered at chapters across the country but will specifically target veterans in this business stage. The day’s events will provide veterans considering becoming small business owners with free, unbiased, and personal SCORE mentoring, peer networking and insightful educational workshop sessions in a fun but focused environment. The event will take place in Arlington, Virginia on November 20, 2013.
Building upon the enormously successful education provided by SCORE for 50 years, Simple Steps for Starting Your Business for Veterans will help potential entrepreneurs determine if starting a business is right for them - and the next steps to get started on a path to success. With highly qualified SCORE mentors as presenters, this day-long, jam-packed series will include:
3 focused workshops:
- Business Basics: Understand the myths and realities of entrepreneurship; what attributes it takes to succeed as a small business owner, the critical success factors and the basic components of business ownership.
- Your Marketing Strategy: Learn about the importance of marketing, the best ways to develop your marketing message, and what communication methods make sense for your business.
- Understanding Finances and Funding: Know why it's important to understand your finances, access easy-to-use templates for cash flow projections and how you can work with them, and learn about the various ways to finance your business, as well as the pros and cons of each method
- Small group roundtable sessions with certified SCORE business mentors and others to discover new approaches to common startup challenges
- Networking opportunities with other small business owners
- Keynote presentation by small business expert Rod Kurtz, Editor-at-Large for American Express OPEN Forum
- Small business resources and materials from SCORE
“We’ve seen time and again that our returning military veterans are extremely well-suited to entrepreneurship and we are honored to help them get started on this path the right way,” said SCORE CEO Ken Yancey.
The “Simple Steps for Starting Your Business for Veterans” event will be held at the Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington from 9:00am to 3:00pm ET on Wednesday November 20, 2013. For more information and to register for this event, visit: http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e8d9rktb3ee6880b&llr=tib7yjcab
Since 1964, SCORE has helped more than 10 million aspiring entrepreneurs. Each year, SCORE provides small business mentoring and workshops to more than 375,000 new and growing small businesses. More than 11,000 business experts volunteer as mentors in over 340 chapters serving local communities with entrepreneur education to help grow 1 million small businesses.
For more information about starting or operating a small business, call 1-800/634-0245 for the SCORE chapter nearest you. Visit SCORE at www.score.org. Connect with SCORE at www.facebook.com/SCOREFans and www.twitter.com/SCOREMentors.