Robert C Patterson
R. Charles Patterson
716.481.4439 (cell) ● BobChuckPatterson@Yahoo.com
Seasoned, experienced business development professional, civil engineer, labor-project consultant, construction industry expert, and entrepreneur. Energetic abilities with developing networks and relationships while managing projects. Able to plan work projects under resource constraints in order to ensure business continuity, growth, cost containment, and ultimate profitability.
Areas of Expertise
Business Development Construction Projects Scope Consultation Project Management
Quality & Effectiveness Cost-Containment Focus Constraint Challenges Efficiency Optimization
Licensed Contractor Labor Issues Field Work
Patterson – Stevens, Inc. Nov.1976– Dec. 2012
President & Co-owner
Director of Railroad Division – Consultant in track work, Inspector of track, Estimating, Bidding, Scheduling and Supervision of Railroad work. Also, estimator and project manager for the Concrete Repair division dealing with restoration of plant concrete structures and installation of chemical resistant coating and floorings.
· Subway tunnel project. Spearheaded work with metropolitan transit authority to replace tunnel tie-plates under tight work window of 4-7 hours each night (scheduled downtime). Worked with various levels of government groups, contractors, and other parties. Innovated solution that allowed work to happen without interrupting service.
· Plant rail restoration. Worked with a client to consult on how to re-establish abandoned rail service without dramatic expense of installing all new ties and rail. Ultimately scoped plan to phase rehabilitation over multiple years to accomplish this goal and put the client immediately back into service, saving significant capital expenditure.
· West Valley project. Worked for client to scope how to re-connect rail for an abandoned waste processing facility that was vacant for 20+ years. Client had a $2M bid from engineer to do repairs and upgrades, but my team created solution to keep expenditures under $300,000 for first year and $100,000 for next two years.
· Hamburg Rail Crossing. Scoped and scheduled this removal and installation within incredible operating time constraint of Friday-Monday work. Dismantled existing crossing and installed new crossing fully by Monday morning.
· Buffalo Zoological Gardens. Worked with two-dimensional drawings to yield 3-D project by setting up special production facility to manufacture rock wall. Required building model of the entire exhibit to illustrate to workers what was going to happen, and where things would be positioned. Project specs required that we work around other craftsmen during assembly.
· Galleria Shopping Mall. Worked with a penalty-based time constrained contract that imposed 2% of contract per day for late completion on this job that required work around the clock. Required innovative planning and execution to pump a grout mixture over 1500 feet horizontally to satisfy the project requirements.
Stone & Webster Engineering Feb.1974- Aug.1976
Field Cost Engineer, Cost Engineer, and Estimator
Worked for this engineering firm in multiple roles, gaining business confidence and work experience along the way in these particular jobs:
· Field Cost Engineer for Gulf States Utilities, St. Francisville, LA
· Cost Engineer in Satellite Office Cherry Hill, NJ
· Headquarters Estimator on Nuclear Power Project Boston, MA
American Bridge Construction & Design, Buffalo Chapter; past president 1988-1989
Niagara Frontier Subcontractors Association of Western New York; past president and Board of Directors (currently);
Kenmore Rotary Club; Past President 2006-2007, current Board of Directors,
Kenmore Rotary Foundation; Current Board of Directors
Deerhurst Presbyterian Church; Past Session member and Chairman of Stewardship
National Railroad Construction & Maintenance Association; National Convention Chairman 1990, and Co-Chairman 1991. Board of Directors (1990 - 1999, 2003 - 2012)
Greater Niagara Frontier Council – Boy Scouts of America - Board of Directors (Current)
Board of Directors (past) – American Bridge Construction & Design; American Concrete Institute; Buffalo Construction Exchange, Laborers Local 210 Pension Fund
Contractor License held in:
Virginia & Florida
M.B.A. from SUNY at Buffalo
B.S. in Civil Engineering from Clarkson University
Attended AREMA Inspection Class, Autumn 2012
Licensed Train the Trainer for on Track Safety - January 2013 for CSX and NS Railroads
MBA SUNY at UB 1979
BS Clarkson University 1973