How I can help you
Certified Business Mentor, Fox Valley SCORE
* Specialist in the areas of Retail marketing, merchandising, operations and management; Commercial real estate site selection and Leasing; Food product development and marketing; Development of Business Plans, Financial Pro forma's and Loan Procedures
* Mentor for over 350 SCORE and SBDC clients
Director of Real Estate, Eastern Region, Executive Director of Member Services, Executive Director of Training and Development: Associated Wholesale Grocers
Director of Real Estate, Eastern Region
- Advised retail customers on the opportunities for the expansion or remodel of an existing facility and the acquisition of a new supermarket site. Completed hundreds of Market Analysis for the proposed trade area with projected sales volume, competition analysis and proposed market share. Completed accompanying Profit and Loss projections based on projected sales volumes for use in financing projects and loans.
- • Supervised the construction of a grocery anchored shopping center. Negotiated leases for company owned shopping center lease space.
- • Advised and negotiated facility leases for supermarket owners.
- • Completed Market Overviews and conducted competitive strategy sessions with grocery retailers.
- • Completed financial proposals for the acquisition or sale of supermarkets.
Executive Director of Member Services, Associated Wholesale Grocers
- Responsible for six marketing group sales programs that generates $1.21 billion in yearly purchases from AWG. Managed an $18 million dollar AD fund for print, media, WEB and Loyalty Marketing programs.
- Responsible for providing operations, marketing, merchandising and management advise to 325 stores.
- Manage the retail customer support departments (Member Services, Advertising and Print) for the Kansas City division. P and L responsibility for over a $10 million combined department budget. 70 associates report directly and indirectly.
- Counsel with retailers on the sale, expansion, re-model and acquisition of stores and create operational proforma’s for feasibility and store valuation.
- Responsible for transfer of $150 million in wholesale purchases from competing wholesalers.
- Re-negotiated the $3.2 million dollar Kansas City Star distribution contract, making this the 10th year without an increase in distribution costs for the marketing groups
- Developed new AD layouts, positioning and marketing campaigns for Price Chopper, Apple, Thriftway, Country Mart and Sunfresh groups.
- Created Internet WEB sites for all of the marketing groups.
- Developed the Price Chopper and Country Mart frequent shopper program through RMS. Implemented direct marketing programs (top shopper rewards, product discounts, receipts, holiday tip program) and sweepstakes programs.
- Developed the Chopper Shopper Business Partner program with 32 partners for community tie-in
- Instructor for the Kansas University Market Based Management program. Teach the “Competing Against Wal-Mart Super Center” strategy session.
- Developed the prospectus for a Limited Assortment Store program.
- Successfully recruited 30 management personnel of which 10 have been promoted to key management positions at AWG.
Corporate Director of Training, Associated Wholesale Grocers
- Conduct needs assessment; develop training programs, directed supporting media and conduct training for corporate staff, 3 divisions and 800 retail stores.
- Designed and conducted programs for AWG managers ( Situational Leadership, Supervisory skills, Communications, Performance Appraisal, Priority Management and Financial Analysis)
- Designed and coordinated several 3 day Management Conferences
- Conducted and presented a survey of AWG’s retail membership evaluation of AWG’s programs and services
- Conducted needs assessment, designed, wrote and conducted over 25 specialized retail training programs for store manager and department heads. These programs included: customer service, selling skills, loss prevention, management, supervision and operations, budgeting, labor scheduling, food handling, sanitation, safety and financial analysis.
- Developed and conducted multi-day operations and merchandising schools in HBC/GM, produce, bakery and deli.
Video Sales Manager, Lieberman Enterprises
- Created a lease program to start video rental centers in supermarkets. Wrote the lease agreement, set up distribution and billing system and marketed the program to grocery wholesalers in the Upper Midwest.
- Developed a video rental program that sold over $1.2 million in video to more than 100 supermarkets.
Manager of Training, Creative Management Institute, Wetterau Inc
- Designed and conducted retail seminars for over 5,000 supermarket employees served by more than 25 wholesalers throughout the US.
- Sold training programs to more than 25 wholesalers generating outside revenue for CMI.
Areas of Expertise
- Business Strategy & Planning
- Business Operations
- Human Resources & Internal Communications
- Sales, Marketing & Public Relations
- Real Estate, Rental & Leasing
- Professional & Business Services
- Retail & Wholesale Trade
BA University of Northern Iowa Distributive Education and Business
MEd University of Missouri – St. Louis Adult and Secondary Education & Business