Did you know that your local library has a bevy of free resources available to help your business succeed? Today, we're spotlighting the Phoenix Public Library and its special "StartupPHX" department, formerly known as "The Hive". The physical location on the 2nd floor of the main Burton Barr Downtown branch is currently undergoing renovations, thus, live workshops are suspended for the time being. As I understand it, the area will expand to include more computer stations and meeting rooms and a larger classroom for live workshops. We'll do an article once the renovations are done later this year.
In the meantime, here is a list of FREE resources available with your library card. Obviously, if you don't live in the City of Phoenix, you can't access them. However, check your local library to see what types of online resources they have.
Free Business Resources at the Phoenix Public Library
To access these, visit https://www.phoenixpubliclibrary.org/, then click on "Browse", then "Learning & Research".
Next, you'll get these choices...
Money & Business
Under "Money & Business" you'll find...
- Arizona Guide to Grants Online
- Data Axle Reference Solutions -- a database for finding leads (formerly ReferenceUSA)
- Foundation Directory -- a database of over 100,000 foundations and corporate giving programs -- great for nonprofits!
- Gale eBooks -- for when Wikipedia just doesn't cut it.
- Grants to Individuals -- a database of more than 6500 foundations and public charity programs for individuals like students, artists, researchers, etc.
- Hoover's Company Records -- great for B2B businesses. Are you looking for the name of a person in a company? Find it here.
- Gale Legal Forms
- Morningstar Investment Research Center
- Small Business Reverence Center -- provides full-text, small business reference books, and magazines!
- Value Line Research Center -- information on stocks, mutual funds, etc.
Here's the best part! FREE online classes on whatever it is that you need to learn to help you in your business! Oh, and did I mention that they are FREE? Yes, gratis, no cost, no charge. All you need is a library card!
Specifically Beneficial are...
- Business: Product Management 101, PowerPoint, Conversation Skills, Delegation Skills
- Entrepreneurship: Marketing 101, Google Sheets, Persuasion Techniques
- Computer Training: Basics, Windows 10, Advanced Exel, Databases (SQL), Introduction to CSS (website design), Quicken
- Web Development: HTML, WordPress
- Writing Skills: Proofreading and Copyediting 101, SEO Copywriting, Advertising Copywriter (search for these using "I want to Learn")
If you can't find what you need, use their search function.
No More Excuses!
You can't use these excuses anymore!
- I'm not tech-savvy
- I don't feel like I'm a good writer
- I'm not a good speaker... etc., etc., etc.,
So, take time during the summer doldrums and learn what you need to take your business to the next level.