Over the past few years, 24 states and more than 150 cities and counties have made it illegal to ask about a candidate’s criminal history on a job application – a trend often referred to as “ban the box” legislation. And more recently, Massachusetts was the first state to prohibit employers from asking applicants how much they were paid in previous positions, as a way to ensure pay equity.
This webinar will provide insight into these emerging trends in hiring-related legislation, as well as their impact on your hiring process. You’ll walk away with practical tips and solutions to help you comply while still making well-informed hiring decisions.
You will learn:
- The growing list of states that have adopted “ban the box” legislation, and how the laws vary from state to state
- Why ‘pay equity’ laws are expected to proliferate at the state level
- What mandatory language must be included on job applications, depending on your state
- What the EEOC advises employers to do, beyond state and local anti-discrimination laws
- Best practices for fair hiring and reducing risk when making a hiring
Download the webinar transcript.
ComplyRight creates practical products and services to help small businesses complete essential HR and tax reporting tasks in an efficient and legally sound manner. From hiring to firing, to mandatory employee postings, to 1099 and W-2 processing, our solutions are guaranteed to be 100% compliant with federal and state (and in some cases, local) employment laws. Our direct brands include HRdirectapps.com (simple and smart online HR software), PosterTracker.com (complete range of ComplyRight posting solutions), efile4biz.com (online 1099, W-2 and ACA form processing), and HRdirect.com (leading provider of ComplyRight HR products).