Does the idea of starting a blog for your business scare you? It shouldn’t.
Internet marketing company HubSpot's "Marketing Benchmarks” study polled 7,000 businesses and found that business blogging gets results with very little effort.
Here are some of the surprising stats:
- Companies that blog as little as one or two times a month generate 70 percent more leads than companies that don't blog at all.
- Companies that previously posted three to five blogs a month nearly doubled their lead generation when their posting frequency increased to six to eight times a month.
- Companies with more than 200 blog posts on their websites generate five times more leads than those with 10 or fewer. HubSpot's study was based on an analysis of data collected from more than 7,000 of its customers during July and August.
Of course, blogging isn’t necessarily right for every business. As HubSpot’s data suggests, if you own a dry cleaner or auto repair shop or other business that depends on local customers, it might not be worth your time. But if you are seeking to generate sales leads—for instance, if you sell a service to businesses and need to develop a reputation as an expert source—blogging should definitely be a tool in your arsenal.
Blogging can be time-consuming. To keep it manageable, develop a schedule for how often you’ll post. Yes, you’ll get better results by posting three times a week or more, but as HubSpot’s figures show, even blogging a couple times a month is better than nothing.
Brainstorm with your staff to come up with a list of topics or types of posts you can cover, including:
- Announcements about news, services or products at your business
- Tips for your customers
- Your perspective on a current controversy in your industry
Tie your posts to things you want to promote or sell. For instance, if you’re an accountant, November is a good time to post about year-end tax tips that will encourage prospects to call you if they have questions or need help with their taxes this year.
Setting a up a blog on your website is simple to do with popular blogging software such as WordPress. Need help? A SCORE mentor can talk you through the steps involved in setup and strategize how to get the most from your business blog. Don’t have a mentor? Make an appointment by visiting the SCORE website to get matched with someone who can help you 24/7.