Small Business Saturday - November 24th, 2012
Black Friday? Cyber Monday? This year it’s all about the SATURDAY following Thanksgiving when we continue to show our gratitude by supporting the lifeline of the American economy - our small businesses. According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, there were nearly 28 million small businesses in the United States last year. Over the past two decades, they created 65 percent of net new jobs. Directly supporting the communities in which we live, every $100 spent in locally-owned, independent stores, $68 returns to the community through taxes, payroll and other expenditures, according to the small business advocacy group The 3/50 Project.
Get the Word Out!
In addition to shopping at your local, small businesses, use social media to help raise awareness about the importance of supporting small business and participating in Small Business Saturday. Encourage fellow consumers and business owners to visit the launch page on Facebook (facebook.com/smallbusinesssaturday) where they can benefit in many ways, including:
- Earn $25! American Express is giving a $25 statement credit to 100,000 Cardmembers who register their Card and use it to shop on Small Business Saturday at any locally-owned, independent small businesses that accept American Express.
- Look for and shop at small businesses displaying the "Proud to be a SCORE #SmallBiz" decal.
Small Business Owners
- Download free in-store signage and access social media tools to create valuable offers for your customers.
- Receive $100 of free advertising! American Express is giving $100 of free Facebook advertising to 10,000 business owners who sign up to help build online buzz and drive customers to shop at their businesses on Small Business Saturday. You can create a personalized, geo-targeted ad that will run on Facebook leading up to November 24th.
- “Like” the page! For every person who “likes” Small Business Saturday on Facebook, American Express is donating $1 up to $500,000 to Girls Inc. to empower young women to be the entrepreneurs of tomorrow.
- Spread the word about the day and your favorite businesses by giving a shout-out to your favorite local shops and restaurants via Facebook and Twitter.