Marketing Professional in the Boston, Massachusetts Chapter. As a senior marketing executive with extensive general management experience in consumer-focused companies, he has a proven track record of successful new product development, expansion of businesses internationally, launching new distribution channels and developing strategic alliances to enhance value to all stakeholders. Steve is considered an incisive marketing strategist with a very pragmatic, consumer centric approach to the marketplace. His category experience includes HBA (Health and Beauty Aids), Housewares, Tabletop, Giftware, Household Products, Hospitality, Produce, Casual Dining, Publishing and Retail. He has worked for some of the world’s top marketers including Colgate-Palmolive, Procter & Gamble, Fidelity and Gillette.
Most recently, Steve completed a long-term assignment for Devonshire Investors (the private equity arm of Fidelity Investments). His focus at Devonshire was providing marketing support for the PE firm’s portfolio companies (BostonCoach, Backyard Farms, Seaport Hotel and Sebastians Restaurants).
Prior to Fidelity, Steve completed a 14-month consulting assignment at P&G for whom he helped facilitate the assimilation of the newly acquired Gillette Oral Care business (Oral-B) in Emerging Markets (China, Southeast Asia, India and Russia) into the P&G Oral Care Group. The plan he helped craft generated an annual sales increase of over 28% for Oral-B in these markets. Key to this impressive growth was a custom communication’s strategy and brand architecture that Steve created. Steve also developed a plan for the restaging of an important segment of the Company’s Duracell battery business.
Earlier in his career, Steve accomplished the following:
- Stopped a sales freefall at a Colgate subsidiary after a poorly executed restructuring
- Created and implemented Colgate’s first global oral care strategy which increased worldwide market share by .5 points, equating to $90 million per year in revenue while increasing gross profit margins by 20%
- Increased share of branded products for a decorative products’ marketer. These products have grown from 50% to 80% of the company’s sales
- Built innovative strategic alliances between a specialty retail chain and national retailers (Staples and Home Depot)
- Successfully created and launched a direct selling company as a subsidiary of a major publisher
Steve has unique knowledge of global businesses, having managed multi-country enterprises for Colgate. He has lived abroad, having served as Marketing Director for Colgate-Palmolive Ltda. in São Paulo, Brazil.
Steve holds an MBA from Columbia University’s Graduate School of Business as well as a Masters of Science degree from Columbia’s Graduate School of Journalism. He earned his undergraduate degree from Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH. He lives outside of Boston with his wife, Sara, with whom he tries to keep tabs on their daughter, four sons and three grandchildren.
- COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY - Graduate School of Business, Master of Business Administration Degree
- COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY - Graduate School of Journalism, Master of Science Degree
- DARTMOUTH COLLEGE - Bachelor of Arts Degree